Tooth decay and cavities can happen to anyone, no one is excused. That’s because bacteria can always spread around your mouth to cause plaque formation, which is the culprit of many oral health conditions and diseases. And in order to stay away from these, good oral hygiene habits are a must. And it does not just refer to the daily habits of brushing and flossing because these are most of the time not enough. Regular dental checkups are important in order to maintain the good condition of your teeth and gums. It is during your checkups that your dentist can perform tests and professional dental cleaning services so as to keep your teeth in good shape.
You can enjoy a number of dental services when you get dental checkups. Your dentist can provide you diagnostic and preventive dental services as well as helpful education pertaining to your oral health.
- Reviewing and updating of your medical history so that your dentist will be aware if you have existing heart problems, pregnancy issues and complications, diabetes, and if you are taking specific medications that can impact your oral health.
- Evaluation of your gum tissues
- Oral cancer examination and oral cancer screening
- Checking of your teeth functions such as biting, chewing and swallowing patterns
- Referral to other specialists for further treatment if there is a need to
You can also receive preventive services from your dentist and these include the following:
- Removal of plaque and tartar
- Fluoride application and treatment
- Stain removal
- Dental sealants
- Cleaning and adjustment of dentures if you are wearing them
- Polishing of your teeth and your restorations such fillings and crowns
Your dentist can also provide helpful education on the important things that you need to know concerning your oral health.
- Instructions on the proper ways to brush and floss
- Nutritional counselling
- Recommendations for the treatments in the future, like how to return for follow up hygiene treatment, gum and periodontal concerns, follow up for restorative options and procedures
- Counselling on tobacco cessation
- Evaluation on how effective your personal oral health care
Aside from these checkups, exams and services that your dentist can provide, you can also have professional dental cleanings performed for you by your dentist. Dental cleaning is procedure performed in order to remove the buildup of plaque and tartar from your teeth, because no matter how much you carefully brush and floss, it is difficult to avoid getting certain food particles and debris to be left behind. These things should be removed, otherwise they can cause bad breath or worse, tooth decay.
Deep dental cleaning involves scaling and root planing. Scaling is done to remove the plaque and tartar that are not removed by brushing. Tartar buildup cannot be addressed by just brushing, and in order to remove them, your dentist will have to use scaling tools so that they will not result in decay and cavities in the future.
Planing is the process by which your dentist smoothens out rough surfaces of your teeth so that bacteria can no longer proliferate. It is in these places on your teeth that most bacteria live and grow which is why it is important to get these areas addressed and taken care of.
Dental cleaning can help you in so many ways, below are some of its benefits:
- Dental cleanings can help you prevent cavities because as soon as plaque and tartar are thoroughly cleaned and removed from your teeth, you are at a lower risk to suffer from oral health diseases like decay and cavities.
- Dental cleanings can reduce your risk of tooth loss because tooth loss is primarily caused by gum diseases. Gum problems are due to the growth of bacteria and if you manage to stop their spread in your mouth, the lesser the risk of gum infections.
- Dental cleanings can brighten your smile because it can help remove stubborn stains from your teeth.
- Dental cleanings can help you avoid bad breath. Other than serious medical conditions, bad breath is normally caused by the bacteria in your mouth and you can manage to stop this when you get regular dental cleanings.
To schedule an appointment for checkups and cleanings, you can call Stamford Dental Spa at (203) 628-2077, or visit us at 124 Broad Street Stamford, 06901.