You may be thinking about getting a new smile in Stamford and dental implants may be the answer. However, there are things to consider.
What is a Dental Implant in Stamford?
Over 4,000 years ago bamboo pegs were used to replace teeth, and in ancient Egypt, metal was used for pegs, and ivory and jade were used in place of original teeth. But it took Dr. Per-Ingvar Brånemark, in 1965, to come up with using titanium for the pegs and the rest is history.
Titanium pegs are inserted where the original teeth were. They are inserted next to the jawbone to mimic the roots of actual teeth. This allows the “new tooth” to function without affecting other teeth around it. After the pegs are inserted, and the surgery has healed, a custom-fitted crown will go over the peg.
Cons of Dental Implants in Stamford
Let’s start with the cons. While a large percentage of patients have no difficulty with the implants themselves, complications can occur.
- Many dental insurance policies don’t cover implants. It is considered, for the most part, a cosmetic procedure. The average cost of an implant is $2,000 per tooth.
- May cause damage to surrounding natural teeth.
- Damage may occur to surrounding tissues, such as the sinuses, or damage to the jawbone during surgery.
- Your bite might not feel right.
- You may feel a sensation like you have a loose tooth if the titanium screw is loose.
- The screw itself may fail to implant correctly. This can generally be attributed to an infection in the bone or gums, uncontrolled diabetes, or delayed healing.
- A hard time cleaning your teeth after the implant.
- Numbness after surgery that results from nerve impingement or damage.
Pros of Dental Implants in Stamford
Now for the good stuff.
- While many dental plans don’t cover implants the trend is moving upward. Check with your plan provider. They may offer at least a portion of the costs to be covered, especially if the implant is needed due to medical issues or an accident.
- Chewing is important for more reasons than just eating a steak. In order to break down our food completely to get the nutritional value we need, our bite has to be working.
- An implant can keep your smile beautiful. By matching the color of the surrounding teeth, no one will know that the saltwater taffy took out your front canine.
- Implants prevent bone loss in the jawbone, which helps to keep your jawline from sagging before it’s time.
- Taking out the offending tooth and replacing it with an implant helps to keep the surrounding natural teeth strong, stable, and unaffected.
- When you look good you feel good and part of looking good is having a healthy smile. Implants can improve the quality of your life by letting you show off your smile.
There are instances when implants aren’t an option, but we are always here to explore all the options. Give us a call at (203) 324-7777 to schedule a consultation and see if implants are right for you!